Monday, August 31, 2009

23 Days and a Wake Up

In three and a half weeks, or roughly 23 days, Melissa and Ella will arrive here in the "land of the morning calm" to reunite our family for five weeks. This will be a great as I am seeing a few mysterious trends beginning to happen in my lovely apartment in the Jung Woon Villas.
1. I keep coming home expecting a dinner to be ready, or one the stove, or planned at the very least. The Korean stove must not understand my English instructions.
2. Every time I open my closet there are less and less clean clothes in it. That was never a problem in my house on Oklahoma. On a related note there always seems to be an abundance of clothes in my laundry basket.
3. There is an ominous lack of cartoons playing in my place at any give time. Gone are the days of "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse", "Handy Manny", and "Yo Gabba Gabba" (which I was beginning to understand and enjoy).

Truth be told, while I would love a "man cave" back in the states that would allow me to get away for a period of time, I would not trade living every day with my family for anything. I love my job and even though it takes me away I love that it makes me appreciate everything I have...including my beautiful girls.

So we finished our big exercise "Ulchi Freedom Guardian"- cool name huh? It is a mostly a computer simulated war (the largest computer simulated war game in the world) with our old nemesis North Korea. We won, because we are awesome. But there was no drinking, and conversely, no partying for the duration of the exercise (almost a month long). It ended Friday and we decided to celebrate by going to Seoul. I told Melissa that we are going to do some sight seeing and that WAS the plan, originally. But you know how three guys sometime will find a bar (which, if you have never been to that particular bar, could be considered sightseeing) and never leave. Later in the night we went to a nightclub. It sounded like a good plan at the time even though we are not the (ump ump ump) night club type. Thing is they wouldn't let us in. This wasn't the first time I have experienced that, three dudes rolling up to a club sans hot chicks will usually get turned down in the states too. But the bouncers (Korean bouncers are smaller than me) pretty much said we were not getting in because we are round eyes, westerners, Americans. That kind of grinds my gears. Korea is a nice enough country, so I wouldn't talk bad about it. But it is not necessarily the most sought after overseas assignment for an Army Officer. Further more, after spending almost a month working my ass off, not drinking, war gaming how Americans would defend their (the Korean's) country it was just not a real high five moment for ROK-US relations. Seriously though, we went to and got into another club (Club Volume shout out) and I realized how much I truly hate nightclubs. Our twelve hour booze bender ended with three dudes sharing a California king, but like I said, three dudes is a bed is a drunk Saturday night, four dudes in a bed is gay.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you appreciate all I do for you back home. Remember this when I ask you for a new fall wardrobe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog, and have bookmarked it for future reading. It sounds like you have a very full plate and no doubt juggling everything can get rather overwhelming.

    Sherman Unkefer

    ReplyDelete